Cauliflower Waffles | Quarantine Kitchen
This is the most 2020 thing I’ve ever done: It was weird, it sucked, then it got better.
You guys, if I can make cauliflower into a delicious waffle I think we can survive this year. It’s a weird new world we are living in. Cauliflower has become rice, bread, mashed potatoes, it’s become PIZZA CRUST. Cauliflower has inspired the rest of us: if cauliflower can become a gnocchi .. you can do anything. That’s why I asked can cauliflower become a waffle?
Any recipe I’ve presented to you in the past I’ve tested several times. We always eat our mistakes but, especially now, I want to make sure we waste no food trying to make it perfect. So I tried, failed, adjusted and voila! I made cauliflower waffles.
These are savory and perfect to be eaten straight off the counter (kindly edited out of the video) or topped with avocado, bacon, or eggs. You do you. Here’s the recipe that ended up working:
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 8 minutes
- One head of cauliflower
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups cheese (I used cheddar because it’s what I had on hand)
- 4 tsp of arrowroot powder ( I normally use to thicken sauces)
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Waffle Iron
- You’ll benefit from using a food processor but I have used a cheese grater before
- Chop your cauliflower into florets and pulse into a “rice” in a food processor.
- This is a step I goofed the first time around, Load your newly riced cauliflower into a clean tea towel (or dish towel) to ring out the moisture. I’ll be honest, I don’t know if this step helps. In the past, I would have made it again skipping this step to compare but I’m trying to make fewer trips to the store and use fewer resources so there’s enough for our neighbors.
- Add cauliflower back to the food processor and add the rest of the ingredients.
- Pulse until blended.
- Spray your hot waffle iron and load in the mixture.
- Cook for 7-8 minutes, if you open too soon get ready to dig chunks of cauliflower from your waffle iron for a while.
- Serve with eggs, bacon, avocado or eat standing up straight out of the iron. I judge you not.
What do you think of cauli-waffles? Would you eat them? Share with us here and on Instagram!