10 New Hobbies for Quarantine
Almost everyday I come across someone talking about the new hobbies and projects they are completing with all their quarantine free time. Home improvement updates, massive closet clean outs, and Pinterest-worthy crafts paired with beautiful before and after photos on Instagram. They remind me of my own failed quarantine aspirations. I was going to rework my home office, clean out the linen closet, and catch up on interesting books and podcasts.
In short, I was going to do all the things.
Back to Reality
Here’s the thing. I learned very quickly that getting out of bed and putting on different clothes than the ones I slept in was a HUGE WIN. Even something as simple as showering for the day made me want to high-five myself. So 30 years from now, when my grandkids ask me what sort of hobbies I had during the Quarantimes… here is the list I am going to tell them:
- Daily exercise in the form of making Lola teach me new TikTok dances.
- Getting creative in the kitchen, like seeing how many foods I can make into a waffle.
- Participating in arts & crafts by watching others do them on Twitch… I spent an hour watching a friend make tiny furniture and found it oddly very soothing.
- Practicing conflict resolution techniques when my kids fight while playing Settlers of Catan.
- Incorporating functional exercise by squatting to pick up an endless amount of Band-Aid wrappers… which makes me question how frequently we are injuring ourselves.
- Clocking extra training as an IT professional while I troubleshoot Zoom connectivity.
- Conducting social experiments like how long I can leave dishes in the sink before someone else (besides me) does them. (PS. The results were staggering.)
- Being more energy conscious by creating as little laundry as possible.
- Focusing on the culinary arts by seeing what wines pair best with stale snacks.
- Finding new and creative ways to justify household chores as educational.
All jokes aside, if you have a new hobby or routine that is working for you while social distancing please share. I would love any and all tips and tricks you have. If you’re just happy to have put on pants and gotten through the day, I say you’re winning.