The last year has been…a lot. We spent more time together than ever before, so why does it feel like we haven’t had as many good conversations? (Yes, I know we wrote a book on communication in relationships… I see the irony.) Making time, even just a few minutes, to have real conversations helps us feel more connected.
I love a list so I wrote these questions for an after-dinner discussion launching point. Penn and I decided to bring the discussion to our podcast and we learned a little about each other (which is a big deal because we’ve known each other for almost 18 years.) Here are the 9 questions we asked each other. I encourage you to give it a try as well!
Let’s Get Personal
The first three questions are about personal growth. Penn winces when I use the term “personal growth” but these are easy, pinky swear. The next three questions get a little deeper and push couples to check in on their relationship. Penn and I had great success (and are strong believers) in couples counseling. If you’ve had to put counseling or therapy on hold due to the pandemic, I feel for you. The last three questions are super silly and all about ending the night on a fun note.
- What do you think you’ve learned from the pandemic?
- Have your thoughts changed on working from home versus in an office? (Yes, at one point we had an office)
- How do you feel about your work-life balance?
- We’ve never been through a “global crisis” together before…how do you think we did as a couple?
- What part of “doing life together” do you think we are best at?
- Do you think quality time together has become more or less important to you?
- If you knew you’d be stuck home for so long, what hobbies would you have picked up?
- Is there a book, movie, article you’ve seen recently that you want to share with me?
- If our life in the last year had an epic movie title, what would it be called? And who would you want to play you in the movie?
What good conversation starters do you use with your partner? Tell us so we can add them to our list! Listen to the podcast episode here:
- Libsyn: https://directory.
- iTunes: https://podcasts.
apple.com/us/podcast/9- questions-for-your-partner/ id1378725018?i=1000531569933
- Spotify: https://open.spotify.
com/episode/ 59DmDcPpmNLwcOYgMkQBLC?si= d6cbd795e51f4d02
- Stitcher: https://www.
stitcher.com/show/holdermess- the-holderness-family-podcast/ episode/9-questions-for-your- partner-85997596
- Pandora: https://pandora.app.