Quarantine is still in full effect so quarantine kitchen continues to thrive. We’ve made some amazing recipes like Chocolate Pretzel Chip Cookies and Chicken Tortilla Soup. Today, it’s all about…totchos!
Never heard of them? Well, totchos are like if nachos and tater tots had a big, beautiful baby. And the special part of this recipe is the simple, shredded salsa chicken. Follow along with Lola and I below.
- 1 (32 oz) bag of frozen tots
- 1TBSP of avocado oil
- 1 lb chicken thighs, shredded
- 2 cups Mexican blend shredded cheese
- 2 tsp Taco seasoning (homemade recipe below)
- 2 cup salsa
- Sour Cream
- Red Onions
- Slice black olives
Homemade Taco Seasoning
Mix all these ingredients in an airtight glass jar and shake well:
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Bake the tater tots following package instructions.
- For the salsa chicken: Over medium heat, warm 1 TBSP of avocado oil in a pan with a tight fitting lid.
- Season your chicken thighs with 2 tsp of taco seasoning and brown for 2-3 minutes each side.
- Pour ½ cup of salsa over the chicken thighs then place lid on the pan until the chicken is cooked thoroughly, about 15-20 minutes depending size.
- With tongs remove the chicken to cool slightly before shredding.
- You can shred your chicken using two forks on a cutting board OR use the stand mixer method shown in the video. Stand mixer method: place the slightly cooled chicken thighs in your mixer bowl. With the paddle attachment, start stirring on low speed. After 30-ish seconds, hand stir so all pieces are blended and start the mixer again for another 30-45 seconds.
- When the tots are cooked, remove from the oven and start piling your ingredients. Create a base layer, top with chicken, then cheese. Layer more tots, add another layer of shredded chicken and cheese.
- Place back in the over until cheese melts – about 3-4 minutes.
- Remove your ooey-gooey tot mountain, serve on plates and pile on toppings!
Have you made totchos before? Do you plan on making them now? Which toppings would you pile on your tater tot mountain?